Why are users unable to browse the internet?
Modified on: Tue, 29 Dec, 2020 at 12:19 PM
If a user is not able to access any website, there might be one of the following settings applied:
- An Internet banned policy as an Active Block, that would redirect to this message:
- An Allow List enabled, that would redirect to this message:
- The Allow Policy will allow to access specific websites only, blocking all the other ones.
In this case, right-click on the column header (where it says Computer, User or Captures) and select Choose Columns:
Enable Applied Policies:
To check which are the policies that are triggering the blocks, click on * applied policies for the selected user. It will open a new window showing a breakdown of the applied policies for each group on that user. We'll need to look for items containing Allow Policy. In the example below, we can see that:
- We allowed users part of the Students group to access the Wikipedia domain only with the Students Allow List
- We allowed users part of the Test group to access the Google domain only with the Block websites Allow list
So, to remove these limitations, we can right-click on those groups>Advanced Policies>Find the relevant Allow Lists and disabled them or remove their items:
Did you find it helpful?
Can you please tell us how we can improve this article?