The following guide takes you through the steps to deploy the Backdrop client to devices. It assumes the user has the necessary rights in Intune to perform these actions.
- Login to the Intune portal and Navigate to Apps.
- Select Windows apps and then click new to add the application.
- Under app type choose Windows app (Win32) and click select.
- Select app package file and browser for the .intunewin file for the application and click OK. A guide to creating .intunewin files can be found here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/apps-win32-prepare
- Name of application, Description of application and Publisher are required fields. Backdrop Client will populate Name and Description by default. Publisher is Impero Software.
- The install command can be used to set values during installation such as the school code. See below for a list of available arguments. All other fields are optional.
- (optional) SCHOOLCODE=XXXXX - Where XXXXX is your valid school code.
- (optional) APPDIR - Application will be installed on a specified APPDIR location.
- (optional) /qn - This installs the application "quietly" without the GUI shown.
- (optional) REVERTDEFAULTLOGIN=True|False - Where True will revert to the default school code
- (optional) DisplayLogin=True|False - Where True will display the manual login popup.
- (optional) DisplayMonitoring=True|False - Where True will display the "This device is being monitored" watermark on the desktop.
The command-line installation requires the /qn flag parameter for silent installation.
The parameter SCHOOLCODE is optional and is used to register the school code at installation.
The parameter DisplayLogin is used if you want to hide the manual login form from startup. The default behavior will display this form. The form is not displayed when using automatic login.
The parameter DisplayMonitoring is used to enable the watermark, a non-interactive overlay on the desktop. The overlay appears in the bottom right portion of the display and reads "This device is being monitored". By default, this feature is disabled.
The parameter APPDIR installs the application to a specific location, such as APPDIR C:\Apps\Education\Impero.
The parameter REVERTDEFAULTLOGIN will revert to the default school if automatic login doesn't find a match for the logged in student when using the School Switcher.
- Requirements for Architecture and operating system must be set. 64bit and Windows 10 1607 are the minimum requirements.
- Detection rules are required. Multiple options are available but the most simplistic is MSI which automatically populates.
- Dependencies and Supersedence are not required.
- Select your desired assignments of devices and/or users for the application installation.
- Review your selections and click Create.
- It may take a few minutes to upload the files to Intune.
- Based on your assignment rules the client will now begin deployment to devices. The status of deployments can be monitored from the apps dashboard.