Chromebook Onboarding – Google Cloud Platform
In order to manage Chromebooks through the School Dashboard, you need to authorise the school dashboard to see users and assigned Chromebooks under a Google Apps for Education domain. This allows the dashboard to pull in the list of users and devices registered under your Google domain. See https://gsuite.google.com for details to create a G-Suite domain.
Adding the respective JSON is a four stage process requiring admin access to both console.cloud.google.com, your Google Apps admin console and finally uploading the JSON into the EdLink school admin dashboard.
- Log in as an admin user at https://console.cloud.google.com. This email address will also be referenced in the school dashboard.
- Click Create a Project.
- Give your project a name that you will recognise in future.
- In the API Manager overview, search for the Admin SDK API in the search box. It should be the first API listed.
- Click on Admin SDK and then Enable.
- Once you have clicked Enable, you may see this screen. Do not click on the 'Go to Credentials' box, click on Credentials on the left (circled).
- Navigate to 'Create Credentials' and choose Service account key from the drop down menu.
- Choose Service account key. You will be taken to the following screen.
- Enter the service account name and select Project > Owner from the Role dropdown menu. Click Create a Project.
- Once you have clicked on Create, a new private key will be downloaded to your computer. Keep this JSON safe. You will upload it into the school dashboard.
- You will see your recently created service account key listed. Click on 'Manage service accounts' on the right-hand side.
- Click manage Service Accounts, then Select Edit from the right-hand side menu of your newly created service account.
- Enable Google Apps Domain-Wide Delegation. This will enable you to manage all the Chromebooks on your domain. Give a Product name for the consent screen.
- Once you have successfully saved this information, you will be returned to the following screen with the following Options enabled.
- Navigate to the top left menu and select API’s and Services > Credentials
- This will show you the newly created OAuth client ID. You will use this in the Admin Console for your Google Apps domain.
- Select and Copy the client ID.
Google Apps for Education Admin Console
- Login to the Admin Console for your Google Apps for Education domain. (https://admin.google.com)
- Set up an organisational unit for students if you have not already done so. The students sub organisation must sitting directly under your main domain. (See https://support.google.com/a/answer/182537 for details on how to set up an organisational unit)
- Click on Security and access the API reference section. Ensure that 'Enable API access' is selected. If not, enable now.
- Navigate to Advanced Settings>Manage API client access
- Paste the Client ID that you had copied from the developer console into the Client Name
- Copy and paste the following scopes into the API Scope box and click ‘Authorise’ (copy these one after the other with a comma, do not enter one at a time)
Configuring the EdLink Application
• Click Device management > Chrome Management > App management
- Click the Find or Update Apps input and enter Edlink.
- Click the Search link.
- Click on the EdLink application.
- Select the category of settings you want to configure, it is recommended that both categories are set up: o User settings: Configure the app for users who log in with an account in your domain.
o Public session settings: Configure the app for users that log in to a public session on your devices.
- Click the User settings link.
- Verify the details correspond with the organisation's domain structure.
- Click on the Students organisational unit, if this is not available, this must be set up under the domain.
- We now need to specify how the EdLink application is installed, it is recommend that the application is force installed.
- Click the Save link to save the changes.
- Click the App Management link.
- The EdLink application should now show installed within App Management.
Sync Users and Devices
• Navigate to Settings>ChromeBook Settings
- Upload the JSON file you created earlier, and fill out the required fields
- Click Sync Users and Sync Devices.
- Navigate to Students > All Students
- Student(s) should be imported, with the tag added for the organizational unit that the student is under.
• Navigate to Devices>All Devices
- Device(s) should be imported, with the tag added for the organizational unit that the device is under.
- The Chromebook setup process in EdLink dashboard is now complete.