Impero Classroom automatically pulls in student groups through an integration with your school's MIS/SIS or other services such as Azure or Google Classroom. It is also possible to create your own custom groups to use.
Custom groups are capped at 150 student/admin. users. If a group larger than 150 is created you will be prevented from adding further users, and you may experience issues with starting a class.
Creating a custom group
The ability to create custom groups is driven by a permission. If you not have the option to create a custom group, but feel you need it, please reach out to your site administrator.
To create a custom group, proceed as follows:
1. Click on the "Student Groups" option from the main menu.
2. Click on the "+ Add Group" option from under the "My Groups" menu.
The "New Group" page is displayed.
3. Specify a group name.
Group Type is set to 'Students'.
4. Choose whether you want the visibility to be "Just Me" or "Everyone".
Adding/Removing groups admins
When you create a group you are automatically assigned as a group admin. You can add other users as group admins, and also remove yourself as a group admin. This is the function you can use to add a co-teacher or share your class with another verified staff member. You will only be able to add users that have logged in perviously and been verified to view students within the Backdrop product.
Keep in mind only group owners will be able to edit a custom group, but anyone added as an admin. can view student chronologies and start classes based on permissions.
1. Click on the "+ Users" button.
2. Specify the name of the user to search for them.
3. Click on their name to add them as a group admin.
Adding another group admin modifies the group visibility to 'Everyone'.
4. Click on the "X" button to remove that user as a group admin.
Adding and removed children from the group
The ability to view students is guided by permissions to ensure the safety and privacy of students. Depending on your organization's policies, you may be limiting to only adding students you are formally rostered. If you need permission to add students you are not rostered, reach out to your site administrator.
1. Click on the "+ Children" button.
2. Specify the name of the student you want to add.
3. Click on the name of the student you want to add to the group.4. Once you have added all group members, click on the "Save" button to save the group and view it.